The Heart of the Government (Ch 42)
สวัสดีค่ะทุกคน
It's been a minute since I wrote a weekly! Why spend time typing out what you could tell people in person in less than half the time? (YAY policy changes!!)
Not a rhetorical question, actually. There's an answer: I have a mom whose vision extends further than my own and who has told me that I will regret not having these emails as a record if I stop sending them. So--this one's for you, mom. (and, yes, that actually means me. Moms are the best.)
Anyway...
It's been four days since transfers! Four days since I traded mountains, miles and miles of rice fields, curry soup and cool weather for life in the big city. Welcome to Asoke!
Here's the scoop on Asoke: It's headquarters for us here in Thailand. President Hammond, the Assistants, and all the other people who keep the mission and the Church running in Thailand operate from here. Pretty cool!
As you might imagine, it's been a whirlwind of a week. There is just so much ACTION here. People, skyscrapers, noise, public transport, street food-- Asoke has it all in abundance. It's exciting! It's a far cry from life in Chiang Mai Branch Three, where my favorite hobby was counting the number of squashed frogs on the side of the road as I biked to appointments.
Coming to Asoke feels like a lot like coming home, actually. I remember being a new missionary in Bangkapi and doing switch-offs with the Sister Training Leaders here once a transfer. We've come full circle--now I get to be the one who switches off with the sisters all around Bangkok (including Bangkapi!) and pretty I'm excited about it!
This transfer has brought with it some changes and some new responsibilities. I'm still learning/re-learning the art of the public transportation invite. It's gotta be fearless, quick, and effective. Once again, I'm fresh outta Branch Three. I'm used to lounging, tobacco-chewing grandmothers who have all day and all of tomorrow to talk, too, so I'm desperately trying to refine.
In all this, my rock is my Savior Jesus Christ. There's a ton of stuff that I can't do. A ton of it. Sometimes it's scary to talk to people in a packed subway car moving a million miles an hour. Sometimes I wonder, "How can I fill a leadership role when I've got so many flaws?" Sometimes I don't know how to help people progress in their gospel learning.
I've been thinking about that a lot this week. Because, yeah, if we wanted to sit and pick out my inadequacies, we could for sure--and make a nice, healthy list. But what does that help? Jesus Christ, who is perfect--who could easily pick out all of my deficiencies and then some--doesn't see me like that. He sees me for who I can become.
To echo an email I sent out almost a year ago, in Christ's eyes, I am a blueprint. Someday--if I keep following the guidance of the good builder--I'll be something spectacular. I've got an amazing future ahead. So does everyone, as they put their trust in the Savior! The trick is to not get discouraged by the mess of the construction site, or throw the towel in when there are a few nails in the wrong places. Christ can fix all of that. He is infinitely more than our weaknesses.
So, this week, I've started to just "pray and leap." The second that doubts start to creep in or in the moments where I feel intimidated, I say a quick prayer in my heart and move forward, relying on the Savior. And this I know: there's nothing I can't do, so long as I have the Savior by my side. I've seen it over and over again. Where we fall short, He fills in. How lucky am I to learn this lesson in such an amazing place--the heart of the mission government, here in the heart of Bangkok, Thailand! I love you all!









Comments
Post a Comment