I see you're drinking 1% milk (Ch 47)

Hey there, everyone!

It's been a good week. I'd say it was a pretty ordinary one, but no week is truly ordinary, is it? I'm grateful to be alive and healthy and learning lessons every single day--even if it means I hit my bed exhausted every single night. Life is a blessing!

This week, we did a lot of inviting. I like inviting. It's interesting to do it with my Filipina companion because everyone thinks she's Thai. People will half-heartedly listen to me, look at her to "translate," and she'll say the same thing I said. And then they understand. Oh, it makes me crazy! But it's also pretty funny. Yesterday I snapped. This old woman was giving me such a hard time yesterday and making Sister Gagarin repeat everything I said. Finally, as we were leaving, I pointed at Sister Gagarin and asked the lady, "Where's she from?" The lady said, "I don't know." I said, "She's from Thailand, right?" And she said yes. I finally got to have my moment. My companion IS FROM THE PHILIPPINES, y'all. After that she said, "Nooo. No no," and held her hands up as if to ward us off (happens oddly frequently.) 

Sorry, that's kind of a petty little story. Chalk it up to post-Sunday meeting hangriness, shall we?



Another story from this week: there is a hilarious member here who bounces around Bangkok to hang out with missionaries. He's one of the most interesting people I've met. He usually comes to our Saturday English class and he alwayyys has food for the missionaries. So, this Saturday after class was finished the member came running up to us and started handing out food. "Elder Hoban, here are some dried beans, you can make them into soup, Elder Bird, here's some lunch meat..." Then he got to me. I was presented with a giant carton of milk. "Sister Harris, here is some milk. I made sure to get non-fat, so you don't have to worry." (Proceeds to do some pantomiming to make sure I understood what I wasn't to worry about.) Well, you can guess that this interchange absolutely delighted my district. I am so tired of non-fat milk jokes hahahah. ("Hey, Sister Harris, I see you're drinking non-fat milk. Is that 'cause you think you're fat?" and always "Hey, Sister Harrisx you left your milk in the fridge! Out of curiosity, is it non-fat?") Thank you, member friend of mine, for reminding me in such a gentle and generous way that the freshman 15 is just a warm up--wait 'till you hit the mission 40.

Switching gears: 
This week we had Mission Leadership Conference. I just have to say, I am a huge fan of President Hammond's. There is no one more humble, more loving, more hardworking, or more dedicated to the Savior than our mission president. His wife is amazing as well. I'm so grateful for their sacrifices to be here, because they are exactly what Thailand needs. In a country that holds such a neutral, almost detached view on religion, the Hammonds' loving zeal towards the gospel is the perfect medicine. I love them!

How hot is it in Thailand, by the way? Don't take my word for it. Here are direct quotes from the members:
"If you want to understand what Hell is like, come to Thailand."
"I feel like a roasted turkey."
Even the locals feel it, my friends. The heat here is unmatched. Pressing on with great hopes of a long rainy season.

Sorry for such a cluttery weekly email. This is all over the place! 

Well, to close off, I just want to share a little bit from my studies this week. As a mission, we've been reading in the Topical Guide under "Jesus Christ." It's given us a great chance to ponder about the Savior and His life and filled the mission with a good spirit.

Every​ time​ I​ read​ the story of Jesus's crucifixion, I wonder about Pontius Pilate. How could he let the Jews crucify Christ like that?
He's a complicated character. He knew there was no fault to be found in the Savior's conduct. He even defended Christ in front of a crowd, declaring Him an innocent man. In the end, though, he "washed his hands" of the issue, letting the voice of an angry mob overrule the voice of justice.
I think there's a temptation sometimes to be like Pilate. We defend the Savior and His commandments when it's convenient--maybe sometimes even when it's not. But when we're pushed to our breaking point, what do our defenses look like? Are we tempted to "wash our hands" of the issue? If we're not actively involved in the evil, that's good enough, right?

In reality, I don't think washing our hands is ever an option. We covenanted to follow the Savior, and we're covenant keepers. We're in this for the long haul. We've known since the start that neutral ground doesn't really exist. The story of Pilate reminds me that we need to "choose...this day whom (we) will serve" and then defend it--come what may!

I love this gospel! I'm grateful to be here in Thailand--learning, growing, making mistakes, changing and having an incredible experience. I love you all!

Happy almost-May, everyone!

Sister Harris

P.S. You thought I was going to forget a birthday shout-out to my biggest hero, didn't you? Not a chance! Happy Birthday, Dad. You're my best friend, my closest confidante, and I'm so glad our relationship is eternal because life without you wouldn't be any good. Thanks for your all you do for me. I love you so much! Happy, happy birthday!







Comments

Popular Posts