The Snipe Hunter (Ch 23)

สวัสดี​ค่ะ​ทุกคน!

I am mosquito-bitten, tired, and happy as can be. There's just nothing like missionary work. This week was especially good, because my companion is a superstar. Sister Rogers has a huge heart, a firm sense of purpose, and a whole lot of love for those she's serving and the work she's doing. She's one of the kindest people I've ever met. I love herrrr! 

This week, we've been trying to build up our investigator pool. That means talking to everyone! You never know who's going to be interested. Some people aren't. Sometimes, you get stuck at a bus stop for half an hour talking to an older woman about the dangers of entering the lottery. But sometimes your companion finishes her conversation at that same bus stop and she's committed a man to read the Book of Mormon and come to church. Go Sister Rogers!

The funniest inviting moment we had this week happened only two streets away from our house. We were walking back from an investigator's house and we saw this man in a field holding a fishing pole-looking-thing and a cage. I was going to just let that one go, but Sister Rogers is a lot braver than me. She marched right up to him and asked him what he was doing. "Catching birds," he said, "Wanna see?" We said yes, and he led us over to this beat up old car. His friend was smoking in the driver's seat. All of the sudden he goes over to the back seat and whips out these dead birds to show us. They were stuffed in these tiny floral sacks, with just their heads and feet sticking out. He set them on the trunk of his car. He was explaining how he catches them when all of the sudden the dead birds started to MOVE. We were both like, "AHHH!" These birds were writhing in their little floral sacks and--surprise!--not dead at all. For the rest of the time that the man was talking, Sister Rogers had to keep catching the sack birds and putting them back in a safe spot on the trunk because they were trying to get away. We don't really know what the man was doing with all those pigeons. It was pretty strange. Inviting is pure adventure!

Something I have been learning this week is that the scriptures are our key to revelation and spiritual guidance. I recently read a talk by President Oaks that changed my scripture study. It's called "Scripture Reading and Revelation." (I know, I know-- not the snappiest title, but don't let that discourage you.) It's from the January 1995 Ensign. If you have time you should definitely READ IT. It was life-changing for me. Now, when I study the scriptures, I feel like I receive personal guidance for how I should carry out missionary work here. I have seen miracles from following inspiration that comes as I read the scriptures.

Probably the most special moment this week happened with our investigator, Cherry. We've taught her the Restoration before and so we decided to show her the Restoration movie this week. As we watched it together, we could see her crying. The Spirit was definitely there, testifying that the events in the movie were real. When we finished, she said, "I feel like Joseph Smith. I have been trying to find the right church my whole life." We asked her to go home and pray about whether The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was it. She was so excited, hugging her scriptures to her. She said she would do it right away. She's awesome. I'll keep you updated on Cherry!

Anyway, it's been another wonderful week. I love this gospel. I know it is true. I absolutely do. I have felt my Savior's love sustain me in the moments where I don't know what to do, or when I think I'm not capable enough. I know He lives and loves us perfectly and endlessly. I treasure this knowledge! I want to share it with those who don't have it in their lives! In the words of President Joseph F. Smith, "We have the plan of salvation; we administer the gospel; and the gospel is the sole hope of the world, the one way that will bring peace on earth and right the wrongs that exist in all nations.” I know this is true. 

Well, I love you all so much! Keep doing the amazing things you're doing and being the incredible people you're being. Sending you love from Thailand!

Always and foreverrr, 

Sister Harris

This past Pday we went to Safari World 


Comments

Popular Posts