สุขสันต์วันแม่ (Ch 22)
สวัสดีค่ะทุกคน!
Sister Rogers and I are halfway through our first week together. Here's what I've learned about her so far:
1.) She's ridiculously nice
2.) She works hard
3.) She talks to EVERYONE
In other words, she's awesome. She's taught me a lot already. I used to think I was doing a pretty good job of talking with people, but I don't think so anymore. Sister Rogers talks to absolutely EVERYONE. It doesn't matter if it's a pizza delivery guy about to take off on his motorcycle or a group of schoolgirls glued their phones. She'll go right up and talk to them. It's pretty cool to see.
Also, she's got a lot of faith. Yesterday, we were talking to this woman who sells coconuts on our street. Her name is หัส (Hat). Here's what happened: Hat, since she's busy selling coconuts all day, told us that she had no time to meet us. At this point, I was kind of ready to throw in the towel and look somewhere else. Sister Rogers, though, didn't give up. Finally, Hat said she wanted us to pray for her coconut stand. If all the coconuts got sold on Monday, she'd meet with us on Tuesday. Sister Rogers agreed. She said a Thaiglish prayer, which included, "I don't know if this is Thy will. I know it is possible, though." We're not really sure if this'll put the miracle before the faith too much, but it's worth a try! We just need a chance to talk to her and let the Spirit do its job. We'll see if the Lord agrees. We may have to go buy out a coconut stand today!
Other things to report: the Gift of Tongues is real! I have finally reached a point where I feel baseline competent in Thai. It feels SO good. Our District just got a new greenie this past week and he's been asking me questions like, "How long does it take for the language to come? When did you start understanding?" And BOY do I empathize. I've still got a long way to go, but I remember how rough the first couple months were, language-wise. Elder Barron is awesome, though. I'm sure he's going to be better than me before the transfer's out.
And, yeah, life is good right now. I love Bangkapi. The members here feel like family members. The Bishop has started calling me "the mascot" and the "employee of the year" since I've been here so long. Yesterday was Mother's Day here in Thailand, and at Church they had all the men and kids sing a song to the mother-aged women in the ward and hand out flowers. Everyone was so happy. It was such a good day, ending in true Bangkapi style when the Elder's (very interesting) investigator ran full speed at what she thought was an open door and ended up crashing into a big glass window and shattering a bowl full of food. Yep, home sweet home. No such thing as a boring Sunday.
We ended our missionary week with a free-throw competition to see who would be our English Leader this transfer. (Don't get me wrong, it's fun to organize English classes every Tuesday, but I'm also more than happy to play a supporting role in the process.) In the end, Elder Barron won the title. He's brand brand new, though, so I'm actually doing the first half of the transfer. Yeah, the game's a little rigged. But I'm excited! Yay Transfer 4!
Okay, that's pretty much all I've got for this week. I've been thinking recently about how much I miss going to the temple. It's such an incredible place. If you have an opportunity to go, go! If you don't, make one! I promise there's no better way to spend your time, and I know the Lord will bless you for sacrificing your time to be there. With the Lord, we always get more than we give. Always.
Alright, I love you all! I hope your weeks are amazing and that good things come your way! You're in my prayers.
With love,
Sister Harris


Comments
Post a Comment