Fat-Footed Blood Drinker (Ch 20)
สวัสดี ค่ะ ทุกคน นน
I love being a missionary! No two days are alike--ever. Seriously, every time I think I've got things down to a routine, something comes along and shakes up my world all over again.
For example, this last Monday I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I finished, I was going to walk back into the main room and climb into bed. Nooope. I tried to open the door to our room and the knob was completely broken, trapping me in the bathroom/laundry room. We ended up having to call the office couple in Asoke, who dispatched our elders, who came over and broke our handle off and then finally took the door off its hinges. Freedom! But, anyway, the senior office couple came by the next day to get us a new door knob (they insisted on coming all the way to Bangkapi--so nice) and they saw where I was stuck and they were like, "Oh, it was just right here? We thought you were locked OUTSIDE. There was no need to worry." So, I guess next time I'll just quit my bellyaching and sleep in the shower. High maintenance, much? Haha, the Williams are troopers, though. We called them pretty late and they were awesome about it. Thank youuuu, Williamses!
Other fun schtuff from the week-- My foot puffed up to about three times its normal size this Wednesday. No idea why. The doctor said it has something to do with a tendon. But if I ever go to a hospital in Thailand again, it will be because I'm in a coma and can't say, "Don't bother." One of my least favorite experiences to date. Anyway, nothing worrisome. Just a fat, fat foot.
In other news...I chugged two giant bowls of blood soup this Saturday because my companion is a menace and didn't tell me what was in them. She “wanted me to be uncomfortable after I finished eating, not before." How sick is that? The worst part is that it was super good. I don't really know what to do with that. I feel dirty.
Alright, so I also actually learned stuff this week, too. We had Zone Conference this Wednesday, which was awesome. The Hammonds have so much energy and love for the work! It's impossible to hear them speak and not feel inspired to go out and tell every single solitary khon thai about the gospel message. They did a really great job. Actually, though, one of the coolest things I heard from Zone Conference was on accident. There's this super cute sister serving here from Myanmar, Sister Yo. I overheard a conversation she was having with a senior couple from Switzerland. This is what the couple was telling her: "We understand what it's like being converts. Those who were been born with the gospel in their lives--it's like they have a feast for every meal, a feast of delicious food. And it's normal to them. Sometimes I wonder if they know what they have. But for us, before we joined the church, we were eating white rice every day. When we found the Church, it was like we finally got access to these feasts. And now we must try everything. It is amazing." Anyway, how cool is that? I agree with Sister Gysler, the senior sister. Sometimes I don't think I know how blessed I really am to have the gospel in my life, because it's all I've ever known. But for those who have been living their lives without the purpose and fulfillment the gospel brings, learning about it must change everything. I'm so grateful for all the brave, amazing modern-day pioneers who are joining the Church in the last days.
I love being a missionary! No two days are alike--ever. Seriously, every time I think I've got things down to a routine, something comes along and shakes up my world all over again.
For example, this last Monday I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I finished, I was going to walk back into the main room and climb into bed. Nooope. I tried to open the door to our room and the knob was completely broken, trapping me in the bathroom/laundry room. We ended up having to call the office couple in Asoke, who dispatched our elders, who came over and broke our handle off and then finally took the door off its hinges. Freedom! But, anyway, the senior office couple came by the next day to get us a new door knob (they insisted on coming all the way to Bangkapi--so nice) and they saw where I was stuck and they were like, "Oh, it was just right here? We thought you were locked OUTSIDE. There was no need to worry." So, I guess next time I'll just quit my bellyaching and sleep in the shower. High maintenance, much? Haha, the Williams are troopers, though. We called them pretty late and they were awesome about it. Thank youuuu, Williamses!
Other fun schtuff from the week-- My foot puffed up to about three times its normal size this Wednesday. No idea why. The doctor said it has something to do with a tendon. But if I ever go to a hospital in Thailand again, it will be because I'm in a coma and can't say, "Don't bother." One of my least favorite experiences to date. Anyway, nothing worrisome. Just a fat, fat foot.
In other news...I chugged two giant bowls of blood soup this Saturday because my companion is a menace and didn't tell me what was in them. She “wanted me to be uncomfortable after I finished eating, not before." How sick is that? The worst part is that it was super good. I don't really know what to do with that. I feel dirty.
Alright, so I also actually learned stuff this week, too. We had Zone Conference this Wednesday, which was awesome. The Hammonds have so much energy and love for the work! It's impossible to hear them speak and not feel inspired to go out and tell every single solitary khon thai about the gospel message. They did a really great job. Actually, though, one of the coolest things I heard from Zone Conference was on accident. There's this super cute sister serving here from Myanmar, Sister Yo. I overheard a conversation she was having with a senior couple from Switzerland. This is what the couple was telling her: "We understand what it's like being converts. Those who were been born with the gospel in their lives--it's like they have a feast for every meal, a feast of delicious food. And it's normal to them. Sometimes I wonder if they know what they have. But for us, before we joined the church, we were eating white rice every day. When we found the Church, it was like we finally got access to these feasts. And now we must try everything. It is amazing." Anyway, how cool is that? I agree with Sister Gysler, the senior sister. Sometimes I don't think I know how blessed I really am to have the gospel in my life, because it's all I've ever known. But for those who have been living their lives without the purpose and fulfillment the gospel brings, learning about it must change everything. I'm so grateful for all the brave, amazing modern-day pioneers who are joining the Church in the last days.
![]() |
| Plumerias - heavenly flowers here |
This Sunday was another day of miracles. I know Sunday is the Lord's day because we always see the most amazing things happen! We've been trying all week to get people to commit to come to church. It's super hard--everyone is busy. This Sunday, though, we had six of our investigators show up! Only two of them had said they were coming. One of the ones we weren't expecting was one of our older investigators, Sister Ponpat. A member in the ward, Sister Da, had gone over to Sister Ponpat's house and practically dragged her to church. Sister Ponpat is 85 years old, so this was kind of a feat. Our members are the greatest. And it was actually super fun to have Sister Ponpat at church. We kept losing track of her while we were helping other investigators and we'd look over and she'd be in the bathroom putting on lipstick or somewhere off wandering the hallways. During investigator class, her hearing aid started going haywire--it sounded like microphone feedback. Sister Chappell and I were trying our hardest not to laugh. It was hilarious.
Okay, well, keep on keeping on, family and friends! I love you. I know you're doing awesome things. Remember to "sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready to always give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you," (1 Peter 3:15). The reason I have hope today is because of Christ and His Atonement, first and foremost. But a secondary reason for my hope is because of all the amazing people all over the world who are willing to sacrifice incredible amounts to bear Christ's name and be His followers. There's a lot of bad in the world, of course, but there's a lot of courage, faith, and love, too. The members and investigators here in Thailand are teaching me about that every week. I love being a missionary!
Have the best week, you all! I love you super duper much!
Sister Harris
P.S. I CAN USE CHOPSTICKS now and I'M SO EXCITED about it. Always trying to tap into my Asian heritage.



Comments
Post a Comment