อาทิตย์แห่งแสงสว่าง (Ch 33)
This week was pretty amazing!
Once a year in Thailand, there's a big festival called ลอยกระทง (Loi Gratong). I can't tell you the first thing about the history behind it (we don't have Google, okaaaay? ) but I can tell you a little about what happens. Everyone launches these handmade boats (made of all sorts of things--but banana leaf ones are pretty popular) with candles inside them on all the rivers, and sets off floating lanterns.
Guess what this week was?! ลอยกระทง, woo-hoo!
It just so happens that Chiang Mai is one of the best areas in Thailand for ลอยกระทงing. People come from all over the world to celebrate. We're pretty lucky to be here at this time of year! For two of the nights this week, the sky was completely filled with thousands of floating lanterns. It was exactly like that scene in Tangled, only it was MORE BEAUTIFUL and just kinda better because it was real life. I can't accurately describe how stunning it was to see all of these lanterns float their way over a river filled with candle-boats. They looked like stars. It was dreamy. Best dinner hours of my mission so far.
Anyway, it was an amazing experience AND I hope you all get a chance to ลอยกระทง in Thailand someday because I am thoroughly convinced it was the inspiration for the Tangled animators.
In other news, we got an amazing referral from the Elders in Bangna last week (thank you, Elders in Bangna!)! We have two great new investigators, Brother บอย (Boy) and Sister แหม่ม (Mam). They're a youngish married couple and I LOVE them. Brother Boy's whole family are strong members in Bangkok, and he and his wife have finally decided they're ready to learn about the gospel. We've started teaching them and I seriously look forward to our lessons every time. They're so humble and genuine and FUNNY. The other night while we were talking to them, Brother Boy whipped out this little baggie full of plant-looking stuff. Guess what it was? Weed. And (thank goodness), it wasn't for him (or for us!) , it was for the birds he takes care of at his pet store #justthailandthings He joked that he gives it to the birds and all of the sudden it's a bird party. Even though I question the wisdom in that diet, I don't worry about the two of them at all. They are amazing people, and I feel lucky to have a chance to be working with them.
What else? Oh. So, turns out my bike has been having problems for the past 10 weeks. The brakes have been dragging pretty hard the whole time, which makes me feel kind of good because sometimes we'd show up to appointments and I would be coated in sweat and dying and my companion would just hop off like it ain't no thang and it was kind of embarrassing. I used to lie awake at night wondering why, at 5 foot 10 inches of height, it took such a mammoth effort to keep up with my tiny Thai companion on her bike. Luckily, one of the senior missionaries saw my plight and fixed my breaks and my entire world has changed. Now I sing Christmas songs all day as we bike through the boonies and I feel so great. Sister Pluem is probably going to slash my tires to restore tranquility to our biking experience. It's a good day to be alive!
Last things from the week! We spent Thangksgiving at KFC and McDonald's with the Elders in our branch. It was a little different from home, but still a nice time. I'm grateful for so many things in my life. I have been richly blessed! (and international McDonald's makes really good cheesecake, so it wasn't a half-bad dinner.)
We also had Zone Conference. It was really inspiring and left me with the desire to be a better missionary. I've probably said this before, but one of the best things about Zone Conference is seeing the Hammond family in action. They are a family who prioritizes the gospel above ALL else. And there is probably not a happier, sweeter, kinder, more energetic group of people in all the world. You can see from the example of the Hammonds that every effort we make to live the gospel will lift and change us and our families for the better. The Hammonds radiate pure joy! They're the greatest.
I love this gospel. I know it is true. I love my Savior and I'm eternally grateful to Him. I know God hears our prayers and answers them--every single one of them. Sometimes we don't always recognize the answers, but they are there because God loves us!
I love you all. In this season of gratitude I've been reminded over and over again of all the blessings in my life. I have so many things to be grateful for. My greatest blessings, though, are my family, friends, and this gospel. I have everything I need!
With lots of love,
Sister Harris
ซิสเตอร์ แฮร์ริส









Comments
Post a Comment