The things we Witnessed (Ch 19)

สวัสดี​ทุกคน!

I don't believe I'm actually living real life right now. Real life isn't this unpredictable and beautiful and miraculous every week. But... here we are! I guess that's what happens when you let God take the reins. It's a lesson I learn over and over again every day: when you trust in God and try to follow His will, He makes so much more out of a day, a week, and a life than we can. I wish I'd done it sooner! 

Yesterday completely blew me away. After church, we went to teach our investigator, Sister Kwan, at the park. She felt a little bit confused about the language in the Book of Mormon, so we decided to read the introduction pages together. As we read them, the Spirit was overpowering. It was tangible. There's no getting around the fact that the Book of Mormon is true. It was an amazing experience. 

But then... we split up to go inviting and I went and sat down next to this woman. Initially, she said she wasn't interested but ended up having a ton of questions about the church. I could tell I'd need some serious language help in order to answer her. I said a prayer for help and was miraculously able to understand and answer her. In the end, she gave me her number! Truly a miracle. I know about fifteen words In Thai, so that was all the Lord's work. 

But then... As I was getting her number, it started to rain. Everyone hates the rain here, so all the people. In the park started running for this little pavilion thing. After I got the woman's number, I was going to go back outside and find Sister Chappell. As I was walking out, someone said, "Sorry!" I didn't think anything of it, so I kept walking. Then the same person said, "Sorry!" again. This time, I turned back. I saw a nice, older man who was clearly talking to me. He said, "Are you a Mormon missionary?" Which, um, happens about 0 times a week. No one has any idea who we are unless they've seen the Elders biking or walking around before. I told him yes and asked how he knew us. Turns out he was taught by missionaries at his home in South Korea in the 1980s. He had moved to Thailand for business and lost track of the Church. I asked him if he'd be interested in meeting us again. He gave me an enthusiastic yes. He was so excited! We're going over to visit him next week and we're going to give him a Book of Mormon in Korean. He told us that "our churches look friendly to his eyes because they're the same everywhere." Pretty cool. And he told us that he has Thai friends who he wants us to share the gospel with. We've always been told that as we go about the Lord's work, He will put people in our path who are prepared to receive our message. The Lord did more than that this time! This man found us 100%. I'll let you know what happens when we meet him next week! But, yeah, Sunday was a series of incredible experiences. Miracles, actually. The Lord is so good to us. 


Love these ladies!


Other than that, we had switchoffs this week with the STLs in Asoke. I switched off with Sister Curtis from San Diego, California. She is hilarious. She has the same sense of humor as my aunt Annie, whom I love an enormous amount. I spent the whole day laughing until I cried. She's actually a super hard worker, too, though, so it was a great day all around. One of my favorite things she said (talking about speaking the language) was, "It's, like, I want to declare the gospel to all the earth with a trumpet... and all I've been given is a kazoo." Word. 

So, this week we went to visit a less-active member. As we approached his house, I could tell there was a group of people inside. It kind of looked like he was having a little party or something. Anyway, the door was open, so he saw us approaching and came to welcome us in. I felt kinda awkward at this point because I thought we were intruding on social hour. We sat down on this wooden mat with his wife and the four other people who were there. We started talking and introduced ourselves to the guests, who all turned out to be internationals. We quickly found out that they were Jehovah's Witness missionaries, come to steal the soul of our LA. Nah, just kidding! It was a pretty strange gathering, though. We ended up watching this little feel-good video put out by the JWs where everyone is just hugging and laughing and crying in a giant stadium. There was a baptism scene clip, where six people are in this giant dunk tank in the stadium and three of them get baptized at the same time and everyone is just cheering. The LA brother's wife saw this part and was like, "They have baptism, too!" talking about us. Which is true. It's a littttle different, though. Finally, the JW missionaries had to leave, so we were able to teach the LA brother a bit. They were very nice people. I never thought I'd get to hang out with them. Super odd. I guess we've got some serious competition. 

Other things? There's this lady in our ward who I just love. She spends her days baking, reading Church material and doing DIY projects. One time, she asked me if I've ever made bread. I have, so I told her yes. Big mistake. She now defers to me as the grand authority on all things baking and asks me about a hundred hypothetical baking questions every time I see her now. She'll say things like, "Sister, if I add 12 milligrams of butter after I mix flour and baking soda, but before I add eggs, will it make the texture lighter and fluffier?" I pretty much respond with "uh-huh" every time. I have no idea. And every Sunday after Relief Society, she goes to the kitchen and yells for us through the hallways. She says, "SisTERS! Try my cinnamon ROLL!" And we have to go right then or she'll keep calling us until we do. It's awesome. Also, she reminds me a little bit of Edna Mode from the Incredibles, so that only makes me like her more. 

Anyway, it's been another good week. I love Thailand. I love being a missionary. I just want to quickly close with my testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. This week, we couldn't even get through reading the Introductory pages of the Book of Mormon with our investigator before the Spirit was there in full force. The Book of Mormon is true. It is powerful. It can and will change our lives if we let it. And Joseph Smith was the Prophet who made the truths contained in this book available to the world. He truly was called of God. I believe this with all my heart. 

I love you all so very much! I'm proud of your faith and your efforts and your goodness. Thanks for being such good examples to me. I hope you have great weeks. I'm praying for you always! 

With love, 

Sister Harris

At the meet and greet with President Hammond

Meeting our new Mission President, President Hammond


Comments

Popular Posts