MTC Chapter 2: Raw Rag Phrakitikhun!
Wow. I cannot believe that's another week down in the MTC! I'm still happy, healthy, and loving life! We finished teaching our first "investigator" this Wednesday. Not all of our lessons were great... we rely on lots of bad charades and have to constantly reword our sentences until they're in their simplest forms, but we are learning TONS! I'm still definitely not stressed, you know? There's still nowhere for us to go but up and we are ready to teach our new investigators tomorrow! (P.S. our first "investigator" turned out to be our teacher, Brother Smith-Driggs! He showed up to class the day after our last lesson and everyone went wild. Turns out, Brother Smith-Driggs is an Olympus alumnus AND the person I talked to about my call to Thailand at BYU tunnel singing. Crazy, right?)
| Here's Phii Luck, our first investigator but also our new Thai teacher! |
In other news, MTC life is treating us well. Guess what we discovered the other day? There's a vending machine on the first floor of our building and sometimes it's stocked with Graham Canyon ice cream. I'm not okay--my worldly vices have caught up with me even within the security of my MTC residency. Don't worry, I'll try to restrain myself!
What else? I still love my district (mostly.) The elders did the worst thing the other day, though! They convinced us all that Elder Meyer, our District Leader, was flying home to Australia to get an operation. We said goodbye to him, thinking he was going to be gone for four weeks (and not in our district anymore.) I was kind of stressed because I thought the elders' group dynamic would change, and I was saying tons of prayers for them and the new District Leader and for Elder Meyer's recovery aaaaand it was totally all a lie. We saw Elder Meyer at lunch and he passed us a note that said "Oi sisters. I'm not leaving. Never trust an Australian." It was funny BUT also probably shaved a year off my life, so I'm not sure how to feel. I'll let you know after I do some intensive introspection.
| Elder Dollery, Elder Sumpsion, Elder Keller, Elder Despain, Elder Meyer, Elder Ratelle, Sister Adams, Sister Harris, me, and Sister Baldwin: District 7D |
But, yeah, other than that, I love my district! Elder Dollery (Australian) says the funniest stuff every day. On Friday, he picked up Elder Sumpsion's flashcards and said, "These are why you're so good at Thai! These things are like performance-enhancing drugs!" (Maybe they don't have flashcards Down Under?) He went to the MTC store and bought some that afternoon, so good for him!
| Elder Meyer's fake goodbye pictures (I'm sharing the one with his eyes closed because I'm bitter) |
Here's some news: this Sunday Sister Baldwin and I got called to beSister Training Leaders. It was a surprising call, and I'm absolutely sure it was one of those that is meant to benefit you more than those you're serving! We just sort of look after the sisters in our Zone and make sure they are doing well and everything. We got a sweet perk though: we now carry this indestructible flip phone with us everywhere. It only calls the front desk, but I don't know... it's kind of blingy. I like the snapping noise it makes when it closes. I'm hooked.
| Just chillin' with my khuu! |
The MTC is really teaching me how to learn through the Spirit, too. I've started praying before all my classes and meetings to learn what God wants me to learn. It's been amazing. Sometimes a speaker or teacher will say one thing, but the thought I end up writing down is
tangential or unrelated. It's exactly what I need to hear, though! I understand why Spencer W. Kimball (maybe? not 100% sure it was him) said he had never been to a boring Sacrament meeting. How could things be boring when you've got a teacher tailoring messages exactly to your needs? The gospel is so cool.
Anyway, I love you guys! I really, really do. Thanks for your love and support and kindness. Your letters, packages and DearElders are always some of the biggest highlights of my day. I think you're amazing. Have a great week!
Love always,
Sister Harris
The new sisters in our zone (Thailand & Cambodia)
| Sister Harris, Sister Adams, Sister Baldwin, and me on our temple walk. Thai sistersss |


Comments
Post a Comment