MTC Chapter 3: "It spreads like rabies"

Sawadii Khaa, friends!

I am officially one-third finished with my MTC stay! I know that's not a ton of time in the grand scheme of things, but still-- crazy!

I heard so many opinions about the MTC before I arrived. There were people who loved it and there were people who absolutely hated it. Well, as a wily three-week veteran, I finally feel a little qualified to add my voice to the mix: I think the MTC is a great place. There's definitely something special about it. I mean, how could there not be? Every single person here put their life on hold--their careers, their schooling, their opportunities-- to go and teach about Christ. I think, because of this, the Spirit is really comfortable here. Not a day goes by that I don't feel God's love.

In other words, I'm really happy! I love my district, I love learning Thai, and I love the gospel! 

Heading to study in T4!

Speaking of Thai, we had our first publicized language mistake this week. Our teacher, Sister Cutler (who doubles as our "investigator") told us about it. The honor goes to Elder Dollery, who was trying to tell the investigator that "life is really hard." Instead, he told her, "Your child is very strong. I'm very strong!" It was funny, but also... not that bad of a mess up. I mean, what's not to like about healthy children? 

And, yes, Elder Dollery gets featured every week because--wow--he has a gift for words. The title of this email, which seems unusual to the untrained eye, is actually pure, undiluted Elder Dollery wisdom. President and Sister Martino (MTC President and his wife) gave this week's Sunday devotional about the effect one missionary can have upon future generations. When we went to class the next day, we discussed it for a minute. That's when Elder Dollery hit us with, "The gospel spreads like rabies." Beautifully put, I think. I'd like it on a t-shirt someday.

This is my favorite Thai word. It's naalikaa (Yeah, I spelled it wrong here) pronounced "naah-lee-guh" and it means clock.


In other news, here's something kinda cool: I've stopped going into my lessons with notes. When I teach investigators now, I rely on only faith and my tiny vocabulary. It's half exciting and half scary.  You know what, though? I'm getting better! And the Lord helps me every time. Progress isn't always evident, maybe, and I probably say 4,000 wrong words a day, but I definitely have hope for future fluency! Through the Lord, we really can do all things. It's amazing. 


Sister Baldwin's masterful photography. This is our Thai hymnbook and none of us can read the words in time to sing them so our opening hymns are always super awkward.

During class, we usually discuss some lessons or concepts in Preach My Gospel. One of the sections we talked about the other day was the Plan of Salvation. I'll admit, when our teachers asked us to read and ponder about it, I thought about brushing them off. Everyone knows about the Plan of Salvation, you know? Nothing new there. 

Well, I decided I'd give it a read anyway. I'm so glad I did! I think I'd forgotten how beautiful the  Plan of Salvation is. It makes so much sense. It is also one of the most powerful concepts of all time. EVERY person living on this earth has infinite value and infinite potential. No life is worthless in the eyes of God. We all have so much purpose. And, actually, NOT everyone knows about this. There are so many people in the world who are living day-to-day with no idea why they're here. I can't imagine what this message will mean to them. I'm so excited to share it. I love the gospel with all my heart!

Preaching the good word just got a whole lot harder!

Final words: I'm happy and healthy (all the four square I've been playing is helping me pack on some serious muscle) (not to mention my agility is going to be off the charts pretty soon.) I am now a three-week survivor of MTC food, so I'm calling out everyone who said the cafeteria would kill me. (Man up, seriously. Just kidding-- I totally see where you're coming from.)  

Once again, thank you for your letters and support and love! You are all the best! I appreciate you so much. Have a great week, everyone!

All my love, 

Sister Harris
Notice the expression... she's been praying for this day and it finally came. Sister Baldwin (lifelong resident of Gila Valley, Arizona) was pretty excited to see snow.
Sister Adams & Sister Baldwin are favorites of mine!
T3 through the snow!
Doing my time before I head off to 90 degree paradise (or something.)

Comments

Popular Posts