Catch Us At The Orphanaga (Ch 36)
I got my new companion this Thursday!! When you train a new missionary, you go down to Asoke for a meeting and then there's a dramatic moment where President reveals all the new companionships. I am serving with Sister Maughan from Bountiful, Utah! She is awesome. We are ready to build the Chiang Mai Third Branch!
This week, we had a service project. We thought the members were taking us to cut grass and do yardwork, but when we showed up, we were at an orphanage. There was actually a giant sign on the front of the building that read "The Orphanaga." As missionaries, we tend to stay away from service centered around kids because of legal issues. The Zone Leaders were with us and they were trying to figure out what we should do. As they were desperately trying to contact mission officials and look up rules, one of them turned to us and asked, with great panic, "What's the difference between an orphanage and an orphanaga?"
Spell check! But it's also more fun to report that you spent the day serving at an orphanaga with los orphanitas. It made me jealous of all my friends serving in Spanish-speaking missions. And it was a fun service project, where we got to meet some cute little kids AND do the promised gardening work. Sister Maughan and I pruned a large and crazy hedge into submission. Service!!
It's been a wild and quick and awesome week! I have no idea how to train a missionary. I just have a lot of faith and a desire to serve the Lord, and I'm hoping the rest just works itself out! It helps a lot that my new companion is a super cute, hard-working, wonderful missionary! But I've been receiving a lot of help from the Lord as well. This Sunday, our Sunday School teacher just didn't show up and so I had to give an hour-long lesson on the spot in a class full of investigators and my brand-new companion. I was a little intimidated, to say the least. But, with the help of the Lord, I was able to fill an hour. It was a miracle!! Definitely not something I could do on my own.
Here's a mildly sad story from the week:
I told my companion that when we give our best efforts as we invite, teach, etc. we will see the Lord's hand in our lives--He will bless our efforts.
We spent a lot of time inviting this week and didn't see much success. I told her not to worry--things would work out. Sure enough, the night before church, a cute member texted and said she was bringing SIX friends to church. We were so excited/happy and I was especially stoked that my promise had been founded.
Well, come Sunday after Sacrament meeting, I get a phone call from the member. She told me that she and all of her investigator friends had gotten in an accident on the way to church and were in the hospital. (What are the odds? Higher in Thailand, granted--but still!)
Anyway, the fun didn't end there. A couple hours later, they all STILL showed up to Church, rolling in on wheelchairs and wearing slings and all scratched up. It was quite the sight. It looked like something out of a TV drama. I hope my new companion wasn't too freaked out... I'm done with promising miracles hahaha. But I'm very proud of the member and her dedication, and hopefully the Elders get a chance to teach some of them in the near future! (we can't teach guys who are under 25 years old).
It's been a great week! The Church is true. I love life. I love my area. I love my cute new companion. I'm excited for things to come!
I love you all! Have the best week ever!
Sister Harris
![]() |
| Go Karting on Pday up in the mountains |





Comments
Post a Comment