Happyๆๆๆ (Ch 31)
สวัสดีค่ะทุกคน
Sorry for missing a couple weeks of emailing! I'm back now, though, and I've got lots to tell.
FIRST, this last transfer day our area in Lampang was closed for sisters. It was sad. We had to tell our cute investigator, Sister พลอย, that neither of us were going to be able to make her baptism on Sunday. It definitely wasn't something we had anticipated!
From Lampang, I got moved to เชียงใหม่ (Chiang Mai). The work in Chiang Mai is on fire right now. Right now, Thailand is trying to build a stake in the North. They need five wards. There are three ward-sized branches in Chiang Mai, and a few tiny branches throughout the rest of the region. Chiang Mai is definitely the stronghold up here. I guess the new plan is to focus our energy on the areas of strength and hope the effects trickle out to the areas where there aren't as many active members.
So, my new companion, Sister Pleumkamol, and I have been assigned to open a new area for sister missionaries in Branch 3!
Okay, and here's what's up. I LOVE it here. It's beautiful and the members are so great and they really take their callings seriously. There are senior missionaries who take care of us and who bake cakes and stuff. The weather is cooling down. I'm living in a house with the Sister Training Leaders here while we look for a house in our area, and it's the best. I love my companion. She is so cute and she is an amazing teacher. I was sad to leave Lampang after such a short time, but wow--the Lord definitely had a great plan for me. I LOVE THIS AREA.
![]() |
| New companion, new area - loving all of it! |
Right now, we don't really have investigators, which is part of the fun of opening up an area. We are excited go inviting and discover what's in Branch 3. This Saturday, we went with the Branch President and his counselors and visited less-active members all day. How cool is that? The Branch President organized that activity and used his entire free day to carry it out. The leadership here is amazing.
I seriously feel blessed. I love both of my other areas, and I've had great experiences there, but there's something very special here. I'm so excited to have some time in Chiang Mai.
I'm still learning lots, getting humbled on the daily (tried to translate during Sacrament meeting for an American family. The woman speaking went off on a story and I missed the first part and that was the last that was ever heard from Sister Harris the translator. After about five minutes of saying, "um, okay," and trying to get back on my feet, one of the elders in the branch took the mic and beautifully completed the talk. So that's what I'll be working on this week!), and just loving everything. Did I tell you that I love it here??
Today, Sister Pleum and I are going to breakfast with the STLs. Then, we'll go golfing with Elder Redd, a senior missionary here. After that, Sister Pleum wants to go to a fish spa. We'll close out P-Day with a trip to a board game cafe. What on earth? I'm so excited!
In closing, I just want to say that I know God lives and loves us. The other night, I had this weird, almost overpowering feeling of inadequacy that came out of nowhere and I decided to say a prayer. Almost immediately, the thought came in to my mind, "Who wants you to feel this way?" I knew the answer. After that, the feeling of emptiness was replaced by one of pure love and warmth. I know that God created us--and He didn't create us to fail. He made us who we are for a reason. He loves us so much. Feelings of inadequacy never come from our Father in Heaven.
Another thing I know is that this gospel is true. I was amazed at the send-off we got from the members as we all left Lampang. Almost the entire branch there showed up to the train station with gifts and letters for us. It was so nice of them. I was only in Lampang for six weeks, but all of the members hugged me and cried and said how much they would miss me. I love them with all my heart, and I'm never going to forget them. I know that bonds of love like these, as deep as they are, and as quickly as they are formed, are a direct product of lives centered around the gospel of Jesus Christ. We, as His disciples, borrow His great love to give to each other, and there results a feeling of unity that I don't think would be possible under any other circumstances. It's an amazing thing to be a missionary and to get to learn these truths in such a personal way.
To sum up: I LOVE being a missionary. I LOVE my companion. I LOVE my house. I LOVE my area. I LOVE this gospel.
And I love you all, too! I hope you have amazing weeks, full of the best things. I'll be praying for you!
Signing off for the first time ever in เชียงใหม่, Thailand, it's
Sister Harris
PS. Sister Ploy got baptized this last SUNDAY. Such a hard thing to miss!! She sent us some pictures, so I'll attach one. I'm so so happy for her. She's the BEST. Also, her baptismal day is the same as mine, 12 years apart, so that's kind of cool!
![]() |
| Happy day for Sister Ploy! Love her!!! |




Comments
Post a Comment