Pedal to the Metal (Ch 28)
สวัสดีค่ะทุกคน!
Another week down in the beautiful town of Lampang!
Really, though, this place is just charming. There are all these cute wooden houses and there's a big river that cuts through the middle of the town. It's also randomly famous for horse-drawn carriages, so we see those rolling by every 20 minutes or so. It's like Thailand's own little fairytale village or something.
This week was a big week for us! We held a missionary fireside this Saturday to help get the members excited about sharing the gospel. Contacting is an important part of the work, but member referrals just have a better chance of leading to something.
Sister Mittavong and I had kind of planned out our section for the fireside and sent it in to the Elders, who were making a slideshow. Well, when it was our turn to present, it turned out that the Elders had gone a little rogue and switched up our section--which we saw as we stood to present. Sister Mittavong looked at me and told me, basically, "You do the honors." And that is how I found myself giving a presentation in a foreign language about a topic I had no idea about. If I had been on my own, I would have failed--no doubt about it. But the Lord delivered me! I think that night was the best I've ever spoken Thai, completely due to the Gift of Tongues. And in the end, I even felt prompted to share and discuss a different scripture, D&C 18:15-16. The Lord looks out for us when we are trying to carry out His will.
After the fireside, we brought out some treats. We had brownies and Swedish Fish, both compliments of my birthday box (thank you, family!) The members loved them. There were leftover Swedish Fish, so we put them in the kitchen. On Sunday, I overheard two of the oldest ladies in the branch as they found them. They were talking about the "sticky falang (white person) treat." They kept saying, "Sticky... sticky... sticky," as they ate them. They polished them off. It was hilarious.
Other things... I'm learning a lot about biking here in Lampang! Unfortunately, this wisdom has come with a little bit of a price (Sending apologies to all the clothes I have ruined trying to hack this thing.) My biggest biking mishap so far has been this: we were trying to get up a huge hill, so I decided to stand up while I pedaled. As I did that, one of my pedals snapped right off, leaving just a tiny piece of plastic behind. So this has been the week of the one-pedaled bicycle. It's been a time of refinement for me--biking in 95 degree heat (and let's be clear... 95, feels like 111, according to my weather app. Yikes!) can be rough boots, but I really love it, too. Plus, it helps me gain about 3 pounds a week instead of 5. Life is good.
Well, you all. Thanks for being an amazing support system! I'm happy. The gospel is true. It is, I promise. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God's true and living Church on the earth. I have gathered tons of evidence to support this claim on my mission, which has been so cool. In the end, though, evidence can't replace the peace and conviction that comes from receiving a personal witness. I know this Church is true because I feel it deep in my heart. I know it is true, because every time we talk about gospel principles--no matter the setting-- I can sense the presence of the Holy Ghost. I'll stay true to this witness no matter what, whether I see miracles every day or never again in my life.
Okay, that's all I've got! I love you very much. I hope you all have great weeks, full of great things. Sending love your way!
Best,
Sister Harris



Comments
Post a Comment