Field Trip (Ch. 16)

สวัสดี​ค่ะ, erryone!

This week has been busy! And good, of course. Always good. 
Here's a fun fact: I have officially (as of this last Monday) been in Thailand for longer than I've been in the MTC! It's a small milestone, but I was pumped about it anyway. We definitely might have stopped and bought some Thai ขนมs (means like snack or treat-- Sister Chappell uses this word all the time) to celebrate. We like to find any and every excuse to celebrate, actually. We're already making plans for Flag Day this next Thursday on the 14th. It's gonna be big. But! It will not interfere with the good work, so rest easy. 
As far as the work goes, we actually had kind of a crazy week! We have some work to do with our investigators who are preparing for baptism. We had to give one of our investigators with a baptismal date to the Elders in another area because he lives outside of our boundaries. It needed to happen, for sure, but still no fun! One of our other investigators with a baptismal date is actually in a different spot than we would have hoped. We'll probably either have to drop him for the time being, or talk with him some more and push his date back pretty far. Dang!

But here's something awesome that happened this week: Sister พัต​ brought her daughter to her appointment with us! They're a super cool family. The daughter is Christian already and seemed to like learning more about the Church. Also, they run their own cosmetics business so they set us up in this nice little conference room and both came in to the lesson wearing power suits. It was pretty neat. It was funny to teach the Restoration over a conference table, but I could get used to it. Maybe one day Sister พัต​ will refer us to a whole tribe of business-people friends who also want to learn about the gospel from the comfort of their conference rooms. Fingers crossed, right?

This Saturday, we had an unusual day. Sister Chappell recently reconnected with a whole set of long-lost Thai relatives (her grandma is Thai) via Facebook. During Zone Conference, President Johnson gave her permission to visit them. He also wanted her to see if they are interested in the gospel. So, this Saturday, the two of us and our District Leader companionship went out to Nakhon Nayok to visit Sister Chappell's family. It took us about 3-4 hours to get there. Once we got to their town, we actually didn't have a ton of time because we needed to make it back for Stake Conference. Her family was super nice, though, and they were so excited to see Sister Chappell! We ate lunch together and she got to talk to them a little. They own a farm, and her great-aunt sells this special fruit juice. Her name and face is on the label of all the drinks, so that's pretty big time.

After lunch, we had to head back so we could make Stake Conference. We ended up spending almost the whole day traveling, stuffed in a van full of Thai people-- but it was so fun! Nothing like a road trip! The whole day was an adventure, and definitely made me want to find my own long-lost Thai relatives someday.

We made it back in time for Stake Conference, which was great. My favorite part was actually hearing Sister Johnson's testimony. She bore it in Thai, which must have been pretty scary for her. I felt the Spirit so strongly the entire time she was bearing it, though. For me, it drove home the point that simple truths, stated with conviction (and by someone worthy of the companionship of the Spirit), can hold just as much power as well-crafted, well-delivered speeches. Sometimes, they hold more. We heard some amazing talks during Saturday night conference--I learned a lot and felt the Spirit throughout the meeting. However, it was during Sister Johnson's heartfelt testimony that I felt the presence of the Holy Ghost with more intensity than at any other point during the night.  As a greenie who still can barely string a sentence together, seeing the effect of that testimony really impacted me. I know the Spirit can pick up my slack and fill in my imperfections. I don't know if I doubted that before, but watching the concept in action on Saturday really struck me. I love knowing that I can give my best and rely on the Lord to do the rest.

Okay, everyone! Thanks for enduring through another update! I'm really grateful for you all. I can't tell you how many times I've drawn inspiration from the incredible examples in my life.

This Sunday is Father's Day, too, so I've got to slip in a quick shoutout to my dad! My dad is my best friend. He understands me, knows all my weaknesses, and loves me just the same. I've realized that it's hard for some people to accept the role of God as their Heavenly Father because they've had no earthly examples to draw from. I'm incredibly blessed. I've never had to strain too hard to accept this truth, because I have such an amazing father--one who is devoted to his family and the gospel. I love you, Dad! 
Thanks to all you dads who are leading your families with love! I'm grateful for you! 

Have an amazing week, everyone! Sending prayers your way. 

With love, 

Sister Harris

Comments

Popular Posts